Sunday, October 14, 2012

Mexican Meatloaf...

So, a few nights ago, we were trying to decide on what to make for dinner.  Half of us wanted tacos, the other half meatloaf.

What was compromised ended up being a beautiful marriage of both that turned out far better than imagined.



Mexican Meatloaf with Black Bean, Tomato and Corn Sauce, 
Corn and Mexican Mac n Cheese




-1.5 lbs Ground Hamburger
- 1 Can of Black Beans
- 1 Can of Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Can of Corn
- 1 Cup of Shredded Cheddar
- 1 Packet of Taco Seasoning
- 1 Cup of Your Favorite Taco Sauce or Salsa
- Box of mac n cheese of your choice
- Salt, pepper and dried onion to taste


Combine hamburger, half the can of black bean, half the can of diced tomatoes and shredded cheese along with 3/4 of the packet of taco seasoning with salt, pepper and dried onion to taste.  (we don't eat fresh onion in this house,neither my husband nor I are a fan of them, it's dried all the way for us.  you use whatever makes you happiest)  Fashion your loaf into your bake-ware of choice.  We use a casserole dish and put it in the center.  Top with 1/2 cup of taco sauce or salsa.  Bake at 400 for about 30 minutes or until desired doneness.  I do pink in my meat even less than I do fresh onion.  Can't handle it.

Moving on.

Make mac n cheese as directed.  Add some beans and tomato and taco seasoning, not a ton though.  It's mac n cheese, not black beans and tomato with noodles.

Combine remainder of black beans, tomato and about 1/4 of your corn in blender.  Liquefy it up.  This is to put on top of the meatloaf.  It was YUMMY!  Got our taco AND meatloaf fix in one.

Cook whatever is left of your corn as you wish.

Plate it up and serve.  This was enough for my husband and I and 2 of our 3 kids to have a second helping.  PLUS, we had 2 good size pieces and some mac n cheese left to take to my mom, who would live on meatloaf if she could.  She really enjoyed it as well.

Here's what it looks like without that sauce...

 


Don't hate on my dishes.  I'm not about washing anymore than I have to.

I'm also proud to say it received a thumbs up from our toughest critic!  We were very proud.  

I promise to get better at this.  I'll take more pictures, rather than just what it looks like when it is finished.  lol  Didn't decide to do this until right before I did it or I would have been far better prepared.  :)

Anyway, if you try this out, let me know what you think of it!  We loved it and will be making it again.



1 comment:

  1. this would have been so much better with drop dumplings. :)

    ReplyDelete